[owncloud-devel] "choose what to sync" should not delete local folders

Steven Hopps shopps at pridetechdesign.com
Wed Jul 8 17:21:02 GMT 2015

Hi, I love this app and thanks for creating it.

I have one major problem with the desktop sync client in windows. The
current behavior is to delete files from the local drive if they are
unchecked in the "Choose what folders to sync" dialog. This is wrong.

There are no other cloud storage apps that behave in this way, and I'm
flabbergasted why this was the approach taken. The sync app should never
delete files from the local drive, unless that option is specifically
enabled by the user, and it should default to disabled should that
option be created. Unchecking a folder in the sync list should cause
that folder to be ignored completely by the app, and nothing else.

This is a crippling mistake in design. I'll use my business as an
example. I have a top folder called "Business Files", and underneath
that folder are a number of mission critical folders "Contracts", "Media
Assets", "Works in Progress". I want to backup and distribute the
contracts and assets to the cloud, but works in progress are short-term,
and involve large files not suitable to be synchronized 24/7. So I need
a way to ignore the "works in progress" folder. I should not be forced
to re-order the folder structure to work-around what is a design flaw in
the sync client.

Other than that, thanks for a great app, and I hope this issue gets
patched.

Steven Hopps || shopps at pridetechdesign.com
424-888-0443 || http://www.pridetechdesign.com

= Ask about my Security Tune-Up & 24/7 Server Monitoring! =