[owncloud-devel] Submit your talk proposals pls!

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:58:18 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 16 June 2015 10:31:34 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> June 28 is the deadline to send in talk proposals for the ownCloud
> Contributor Conference. Deadline, you say? Well, with already over 140
> registrations, we're in need of some real conference pretense and real
> conferences have deadlines for their CfP.
>
> Besides, I want to announce the program on August 1st so yes, a deadline.
>
> After registration, you can submit a talk here:
> https://conference.owncloud.org/conference/oCC2015/proposal
>
> If you want to know what we're looking for, check the CfP blog:
> https://owncloud.org/blog/owncloud-contributor-conference-2015-call-for-pape
> rs/

For those who would ask "why would I talk, and about what?" here some
thoughts.

There are three reasons to talk at the conf:
1. to share what has been happening in the area you work in with everybody
2. to teach new skills to those interested in a particular subject
3. to inspire or get help from everybody

1 and 3 fit a lightning talk for Saturday and Sunday morning: you are in the
main hall, talking to the entire crowd for 3-7 minutes. Slides optional, if
you have them, I need them in PDF at least 2 days in advance and I make sure
they are there for you (can't be switching laptops in between talks).

2 is either a tech talk or a workshop. We have 1 hour tech talks, 1 hour
workshops and 2 hour workshops. If you think you need a 30 min tech talk, just
say so. During the workshops, the hacking rooms are open (but some are
commissioned for the workshops).

(the 1 hour tech talk and the 1 hour workshop option have just been added. I
might add a 30 min tech talk if there is need, you can still change your
submission later)

Examples.

1. You work on, say, LDAP. You have done all kinds of changes to the
architecture since the last conference. In 2-3 minutes, summarize the changes
so everybody has an idea how LDAP is doing. Or you do security stuff. Give a 5
minute overview of the changes and how they impact other developers.

2. You work on External Storage support so you give a 1 hour workshop on how
to build a new external storage app. You work on sharing. Give at 30 minute
tech talk about how it works.

3. You want more people to help with the Mail app. You explain what you're
trying to do in a lightning talk and invite ppl to work on it in one of the
rooms at the hackathon.

Hope this helps a bit. Oh, and especially those who's apps became examples
here: if you don't send in a talk proposal I will come haunt you in your
sleep.

Cheers,
Jos