[owncloud-devel] File Metadata/tags

Frank de Lange owncloud-f at unternet.org
Mon Jun 29 21:40:19 GMT 2015

Devin Ceartas wrote:
> I am beginning some client-sponsored development work to create a
> flexible system for associating user-defined metadata with files in
> owncloud.
>
> My starting point is the favorites plugin
> (https://github.com/owncloud/core/blob/64138b0af50dacab4ec8da20406c0131d8dee423/apps/files/js/favoritesplugin.js)
>

> My intention is to first understand how this plugin is implemented and
> be able to mimic it's behavior with alternative meta-data tags. From
> there I will work to develop a way to add new meta-data attributes/tags
> through a user-interface.
>
> I would be most thankful for any information relating to past, current
> or planned similar features or any other guidance. Thanks.

I needed more flexible metadata support for my OPDS catalog app [1]. To
implement this I subclassed the files app, added a JSON-formatted
metadata column to the app-specific table and called it a day. The
advantage of this approach is that it is easy and flexible - any type of
data that can be expressed in JSON can be added as metadata to any file.
The disadvantage is that there is only rudimentary support to query
JSON-formatted data. Depending on what you need the metadata for this
approach might be sufficient, especially if said metadata is usually
used as a coherent set (in my case: publication-related metadata, the
stuff you'd find on a library card).

 [1] https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/OPDS+catalog?content=168132