[owncloud-devel] conference travel support

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:18:11 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 23 June 2015 15:05:18 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've said it a few times - it is really time to register and book travel
> and hotel for the ownCloud Contributor Conference coming in August!
>
> https://owncloud.org/conf
>
> For some of our contributors, cost can be a limitation for joining the conf.
> We have some budget set apart for travel support and you can send me a
> (private) mail to request travel support.
>
> *Who and what?*
> * this is meant to support contributors so they can join the conference. If
> you've got patches merged (any!) you are eligible.
> * we give priority to more regular contributors and will also first support
> students and others who can be expected to need it more.
> * we, at most, cover 80% of the costs of the cheapest accommodation option &
> main travel (train/airplane and hostel, not local transport, food etc) but
> we usually make personal arrangements and can make exceptions.
> * we will ask you to help out with the organization of the event a bit,
> think about taking care of the registration desk and such. It won't be a lot
> and you will get an ownCloud t-shirt for it!
> * You have to register for the conf and having send in a talk proposal is a
> plus. Note that the deadline for our CfP is Sunday!
>
> *How?*
> * Please send a request to jos at owncloud.com. Include your estimated travel
> and hotel costs and a link to your github account.
>
> Note that this isn't limited to code contributions - designers and other
> contributors are equally welcome and can send me their details, too.
>
> Please don't be shy asking - our goal is to get everybody who wants to hack
> on ownCloud to join our conference and money shouldn't get in the way of
> that. Plenty of people live far or are students who can't just afford a
> flight ticket and that is what support is for.
>
> I can't promise we can help everybody but please ask if money is what keeps
> you from joining the conf!

One last thing. First come, first serve - I try to say yes (or no) within a
week from receiving a request so you can imagine that once the money is gone,
I can only say no. So email me sooner rather than later!

If you're unsure - ask. Paraphrasing a Dutch saying: 'no' you already have,
'yes' you could get.