[owncloud-devel] Bug hackaton? Please - read and think about it!

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:32:57 GMT 2015

Hi,

Daniel opened a conversation [1] about having another bug hackathon because
the number of bugs open in our github seems quite crazy.

Thomas pointed out that while 1700 issues is a lot, less than a third of
those are actually bugs that need to be solved. The others are feature plans
and requests, technical debt or waiting for more input from the reporter.

That still gives about 500 bugs, still a lot although as Thomas also points
out - the monthly pulse shows we close more each month than that we open. At
least now: https://github.com/owncloud/core/pulse/monthly

This isn't always like that (otherwise we'd be at zerro boogas by now) so
yeah, we could use a bug fixing day/weekend/days. How do we do that so that
it really helps?

Please, think about this, answer that question at least for yourself: what
could be done to get a significant reduction in bugs in the area I work in?
* can you use some help testing fixes?
* do you need a second pair of eyes at code that is written but has to be
merged?
* do you need help tracking down what the cause of the problem is or a fresh
pair of eyes at a piece of code you are unsure about?
* can others help you in other ways? Can you be inspired working with others?

What I am getting at is: what can we do that really makes a difference? Of
course you can each put in extra hours ;-) but we all know that hours don't
always solve problems. Usually you need a fresh look at things, help testing,
or just some bright idea. Heck, it often already helps to just explain the
problem to figure out what's wrong!

If we do a bug day, I'd like it to really help. I can't sit down and fix bugs
myself - but perhaps there is something else I and others can do.

Do we want a bug day, and how do we make it successful?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jos

[1] https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/14678