[owncloud-devel] apps visibility

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:45:08 GMT 2015

On Sunday 29 March 2015 15:56:08 Christian Reiner wrote:
> Hey Jos,
> thanks for the reply! Finally some light comes into this...
>
> However there are some questions left on my side. Maybe you or someone else
> can add a few more details here...
> It is not that I am not willing to show patience if required. It is just
> that a little transparency would do good here in my eyes.

> > > at least the "Imprint" App of you is offered here in my installation
> > > for
> > > installation.
> > >
> > > But thats the only "non-owncloud" app offered, seems no other 3rdparty
> > > app
> > > is listened here.
> >
> > This is because our 'process' for getting stuff in the app store is as
> > broken as it gets. It requires 'somebody' to review and apps and do some
> > actions to get them in - but that 'somebody' is really 'nobody' at the
> > moment. We discussed this at the hackathon last week in Nue and we have a
> > plan to fix this for 8.1.
>
> Do I get that right, that the conditions for publishing an app were
> changed? I completely missed any announcement of that...

Not on apps.o.c. Nor on the build in App store in ownCloud - there were no
real conditions (I might be wrong - but then, point me to documentation of a
process - I can't find anything).

> Also I fail to see any problem with getting an app in there - you just have
> to register any upload. But maybe you are referring to some other step?

That is on apps.owncloud.com, nothing changed there.

> Since apparently the "approved" tag (so the former "approvers" group) is
> not what is used for approving an app any more but something else. I
> wonder what considerations and requirements come into play here. So I am
> looking forward to the documentation you announced...

The 'approved' tag should be given out to apps and then they can appear in
the build in app store in ownCloud - but there is not and never really was a
process for that. It has been done kind of ad-hoc at the past, I think by
Frank, perhaps also by others. That is the thing we have to fix - create
clear conditions and find people who can check them.

> > Sorry, it is frustrating to see our new, good looking App store so empty
> > :(
> There is a new app store? Sorry, don't get this wrong, but
> apps.owncloud.com certainly is not new, apart from a few details it was
> extended with. So I assume something new is in the making and will be
> exposed over the coming month?

With the app store I mean the build in App manager in ownCloud - it isn't
'new' but improved with the categories and all that... But it shouldn't be
(near) empty ;-)

On apps.owncloud.com nothing changed - it is and always has been almost
entirely open (only face or data-stealing apps are removed).

You can find a issue for what needs to change in the app store and a pull
request for documentation of the process in github. It is very rough so I
won't link to it for now but if you really want you can look for it.

Hope this helps,
Jos