[owncloud-devel] Questions About Translations

Ben C owncloud at nosolutions.com
Thu May 21 20:00:48 GMT 2015

Hi all,

I've developed an app that's getting pretty popular, ownNote:
https://github.com/Fmstrat/ownnote/

To make it more accessible, I'd like to start the process of
translations before rolling out version 1.0. A few people volunteered to
help, and I got a number of translations from them into my own template
(French/German/Japanese) before I found this:
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.1/developer_manual/app/l10n.html

After reading that, I'm a bit confused on the process. The directions at
the top of the page for Transifex say "To start translating sign up and
enter a group. If your community app should be added to Transifex
contact someone of the core developers
<http://owncloud.org/about/contact/> to set it up for you." I'm not sure
what "enter a group" means, and the "core developers" link is broken.

I then decided to try creating my own translatable files following the
directions on that page, so I ran:

mkdir /var/www/owncloud/apps/ownnote/l10n
cd /var/www/owncloud/apps/ownnote/l10n
perl /var/www/owncloud/l10n/l10n.pl read ownnote

This created the "templates" directory, but it was empty.

So, my questions:
1) Is there a specific format strings in my app need to be in for the
template to be created?
2) For Transifex, I've got my account set up, but what's the specific
process for "entering the group"? Do I just set up my project as an open
source project, and then things come directly back to me, or is there
some connection to the ownCloud application?
2.1) Even if I use transifex, won't I still need to create the templates
using the perl script above that is failing?

Thanks,
Ben