[owncloud-devel] Update available via admin interface

Thomas Ebert thomas.ebert at te-online.net
Sat Nov 14 19:09:27 GMT 2015

Hi!

@Jim Knopf: In an attempt to answer your question directed @all (from my personal point of view!):

I think the current practice is based on a (probably outdated) conception of »user-roles«. It seems that there is the role of the tech-savvy users who unquestionable update their ownClouds via command line or manually. And then there are those »endusers« which are at the same time administrators, simply because they don’t have access to a »proper« system administrator (e.g. they are normally not concerned with administration tasks and are hosting their ownCloud on shared hosting without anyone’s personal help.) The updater app seems to be targeted at the latter.

Personally, I agree that this practice is not really helpful for anyone, besides the fact that those imaginary user-roles probably not exist. The only consistent action would be now to make updates instantly available via the updater app after release. For which other reason do we have the different channels? »Real life« tests should be run with non-stable releases. Now »tests« are run by users who do not use the updater app and who are currently playing the role as pre-testers for those who use the app, in which I can see no logic motivation.

Concerning the texts in the update app: A few weeks ago, we worked on making the texts more comprehensible and shorter at the same time to deliver only the information that is actually needed. And the quoted »Testing is everything« was removed in the last version. (See https://github.com/owncloud/updater/pull/180 <https://github.com/owncloud/updater/pull/180>). As stated before I agree with you that upon release the testing should be completed. Otherwise you can’t call it a stable release.

I am not sure who is actually in charge of »pressing the red button« each time, aka publishing the updates to the official channel that the app uses. Maybe @Frank could help us out with this question? However, this person has to make the decision of the »release date« on some basis, right? So maybe can create a more solid basis for this decision – like proposed: A week after release the release will also be available in the app. Or – as I think it would be suitable – instantly upon release the updater channel gets the new version as well.

Thomas

––
Thomas Ebert
Interaction Design