[owncloud-devel] Update available via admin interface

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 11:49:37 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 17 November 2015 12:04:13 tflidd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> automated upgrades to a new Ubuntu LTS version are pushed with the first
> point-release of a new version. This could be a good idea for owncloud
> as well. After a new major release, the updater app just waits for the
> first point release (8.2.1, for next major upgrade 9.0.1). Then the new
> version has already been installed on a larger number of hosts. Most
> updater-app users don't have full access to the system and possible
> problems are much harder to identify and to fix.
>
> A testing mode of the updater app would be a very nice feature. This
> way, users who really need new features  or who just want to test the
> upgrade process, can run an upgrade to the 8.2.0-version. Or is there
> currently any way to test the updater app?

Not that I know off.

See the http://owncloud.org/release-channels for what we tried to set up. The idea is:
* Production: gets bugfixes a few days after they are out, gets new releases upon first bugfix release (eg 8.2.1) a few days after it is out.
* Stable: gets bugfix releases and major releases a few days after they are out
* Testing: gets testing packages (beta, RC)
* daily: automatic daily snapshots

Now that's the *theory*. I believe that making stuff available for Production and Stable isn't automated and it is something Frank or one of a few other core developers do when they feel things are stable enough to push them out. In general, that happens 3-7 days after a release. Sometimes they're not entirely sure and it takes longer, sometimes it happens not at all (if a serious bug is found, so you get the next bugfix release) and sometimes there's a perfect storm and due to stand of the moon, holiday and bad voodoo it takes a bit longer.

I'll try and add some words about this to the release channels webpage.

Cheers,
Jos