[owncloud-devel] Reverse DNS lookup for apps.owncloud.com missing

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Tue Apr 12 11:23:41 GMT 2016

We have recently moved hosters for this service and forgot to set the
reverse record. This has been done now because publically, the new
service happens to be visible on a single exclusive IP, so I set the
reverse entry for now:

$ host 74.208.110.124
124.110.208.74.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer apps.owncloud.com.

Just note that reverse lookups are not indicative of anything,
especially if they are not being validated both ways. Also, the mapping
IP<->host is not bijective due to Round Robin DNS and/or vhosts. Also,
it may change at any time and we under a new setup, we might not be able
to uphold setting the reverse records.

Cheers,
  Daniel