[owncloud-devel] Correct solution to disable synchronization completely via client for all users?

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Tue Apr 12 11:39:30 GMT 2016

On 05.04.2016 18:52, Martin crysman Zahradník wrote:
> Thank you, but ... if I do not have the owncloud enterprise with file
> firewall... how do I do that (that is: /disable all remote clients
> (desktop/mobile applications) synchronizations except for internet
> browser access to ownCloud/)?

1. Do not, never, and never ever remove status.php, or any core file. It
will have unforseeable side effects.
2. Blacklist based on user agents
(http://serverfault.com/questions/251988/blocking-apache-access-via-user-agent-string).
You can find the user agents in this issue:
https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues/2818.
3. Previously, you could just blacklist the WebDAV routes. However, the
web interface in ownCloud 9 also uses WebDAV, so this option does not
exist anymore. Also, blocking WebDAV routes may lead to federated
sharing to fail.

Note that this will only keep out occasional users. It will not enforce
full compliance (e.g. you could still log in with a random WebDAV client
and mass download files if thats your concern).

Cheers,
  Daniel