[owncloud-devel] Owncloud pool of servers behind a load balancer

Pablo Marques pmarques at miamilinux.net
Fri Feb 5 21:45:51 GMT 2016

Hi Owncloud devel

It has been suggested on the user list that I ask this question to this development list :

I am setting up a load balanced Owncloud with nginx.
Two backend servers running 8.2.2 with shared NFS storage.
Both servers are configured to use the same Redis server for memcache

'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis', Not clear to me if using '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu' instead is any better or worse in this line
'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
'redis' =>
array (
'host' => '10.10.10.34',
'port' => '6379',
'timeout' => '0',
'dbindex' => '0',
),

All works great except that if I disable a backend server, the user that happened to be on that backend server is forced to authenticate again when the session is switched to the other server.
Isn't the user sessions stored and shared in Redis for both servers?

I also configured the php.ini on both servers with these entries:

session.save_handler = redis
session.save_path = "tcp://10.10.10.34:6379?database=1"

How should I configure this setup to avoid user re-authentication on backend failure?

Regards

Pablo