[owncloud-devel] GSOC 2016

Lasse Schuirmann lasse.schuirmann at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 16:42:31 GMT 2016

> On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:19:39 PM BRST Lasse Schuirmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> so if you apply under GNOME that is totally fine but speaking formally
>> the requirement would be that any projects must be "GNOME related"
>> while that isn't exactly clearly defined.
>>
>> Making a pro/con list for you, those facts apply if you are under the
>> GNOME umbrella:
>>
>> 1. You need to sync up with us ASAP!
>> 2. Project ideas must be GNOME related.
>> 3. The GNOME administrators have the final word in which projects get
>> accepted, of course.
>> 4. Your students will be funded to join us at GUADEC, your mentors
>> might get funding too but maybe not full funding.
>> 5. You won't get the organization money as google's travel allowance
>> doesn't scale for big organizations and the money will be needed for
>> GUADEC.
>
> That's totally cool, it is the 2/3 which is a bit extreme - in the sense that we might have people who want to do things not per-se GNOME related. If that isn't allowed I think we'd rather try and do this alone or under another organization which is a tad more flexible, eg openSUSE... I still would love to do the GNOME integration projects, though, and if ownCloud wouldn't get in at GSOC perhaps they can simply be done under GNOME.

3. is solely from the technical POV. If GNOME is your umbrella of
course GNOME can decide to give you less slots. You will have that
with every umbrella. I can't really say how strict the 2. restriction
is applied, I've never had a problem with that with coala so far
though I tried to tweak the projects in the GNOME direction.

My recommendation: just try to apply *and* sync up with us. If the
application gets rejected you can still at least do GNOME related
projects under the GNOME umbrella.