[owncloud-devel] Update-procedure: Is maintenance mode kept by default?

Joas Schilling nickvergessen at owncloud.com
Mon Feb 29 07:39:46 GMT 2016

Am 28.02.2016 um 00:03 schrieb tflidd:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if this is a wanted behavior of owncloud for
> debian-updates. What I have to do:
>
> 1) apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
> 2) I get a warning that I need to run the occ command
> 3) I run the occ upgrade
> Set log level to debug
> Checking whether the database schema can be updated (this can take a
> long time depending on the database size)
> Checked database schema update
> Checking updates of apps
> Checked database schema update for apps
> Updating database schema
> Updated database
> Updating <gallery> ...
> Updated <gallery> to 14.5.0
> Starting code integrity check...
> Finished code integrity check
> Update successful
> Maintenance mode is kept active
> Reset log level
>
> Question 1: Running the occ-command is kind of obligatory, can't this be
> done by default or by request?
>
> Question 2: Is the maintenance mode kept active on purpose?
> If the update wasn't successful I would understand that. In this case,
> you always have to disable the maintenance mode manually (and lookup the
> command in the documentation). Or is it possible to ask the user if the
> maintenance-mode should be turned off?
Asking is always bad, since it prevents scripting.

Q1: Yes we could do it, but when people run the same instance on two servers
(load balancing, etc.) they would run the update twice, which is not
really what
you want to do. So there needs to be a way to update the files without
running
the owncloud update => don't run it on apt-get upgrade

Q2: The problem is, that on large instances an update of the database
can take hours.
So if the admin want's to finalize some settings, before going live, he
would need
to monitor the update call all the time to immediately put it into
maintenance mode.
=> leave in maintenance mode

if you run "./occ list" in the console, it  lists all command and you
can easily find the
maintenance:mode command.

Sorry if that is trouble some for you, but that is what happens, when a
product
has to match the requirements of many different use-cases (single user
up to millions)
Hope my answer helped to get some insight.

cheers Joas