[owncloud-devel] alternate proposal

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:53:31 GMT 2016

On Friday 08 January 2016 11:53:08 Influency wrote:
> Hello:
>
> 1. I was one of the persons whom proposed becoming involved in the
> initial owncloud/maxtor collaboration
>
> 2. I did not receive a response to my proposal and, although I provided
> further necessary information, did not receive a kit.
>
> 3. I've remained on the list with the thought that perhaps I might
> become involved in the second phase of the project
>
>   - In that interest I researched and reviewed a number of what would be
> a preferred approaches on my part
>
> 4. It is my belief that the Team should consider working with firefox OS
> for reasons too numerous to delve into at this time
>
>   - there are a number of existing implementations such as
>
>      http://mozopenhard.mozillafactory.org/
>
> 5. It is my opinion and belief that FirefoxOS and related IOT and open
> source code bases, as well as other HW/SW/WEB?Community synergies could
> quickly create long term value and expand opportunities for extending
> the combination of HW&OwnCloud/
>
> Please consider, review and respond. Thank you.

Hey William,

Firefox OS is an interesting option, yes. See also https://github.com/owncloud/pi-image/issues/10

In the end, the choice will have to be practical: the base should be something people can work on easily, so it has to be familiar. Multiple people should be able to help manage and improve it. I'm not sure if Firefox OS even tries to be a platform for something like ownCloud, to be honest. But you can prove us wrong ;-)

I'll contact you directly about getting you a device so you can help build an image and prove that Firefox OS can be a great platform for ownCloud :D

Cheers,
Jos