[owncloud-devel] Information for users of Weuxels Gentoo owncloud-client Repository

Norman Rieß norman at smash-net.org
Thu Jan 28 06:55:59 GMT 2016

Hello Klaas,

the reasons have been discussed a lot so i do not really want to discuss them, but i can tell you.

Compared to other services i run, owncloud is high maintenance. Because of constant quality issues and not communicated changes, every update is a risky gamble. Despite the slogan „Throw it on any webspace and it will work“ it requires substantial changes in php and mysql config to run smoothly or at all. Again some of which are newer properly communicated. I do not want to run into an error on the stable release and then find out in the issue tracker, that i have to reconfigure the log format of my database. Owncloud should have told me that before or it should not be needed at all.

My core feature of owncloud was calendar and contacts which worked reliably for a long time. I can not recall when this started but it was deactivated after every update and at first it was a damn hassle to bring it back on.
What made me search for alternatives was the broken calendar for android devices after moving to php7 and the announcement that owncloud was php7 ready. The devs said it was a sabredav problem and that the readiness was meant for the core. There was a fix on the issue tracker which made it work again.
What made me implement the previously searched for alternatives was the fact that after an update of owncloud that same known problem was shipped unfixed again.

I felt with every issue that was discussed, every time the devs statements moved along the lines of „Not our problem“, „This is not part of core (any more), so we don´t care“.
This personal feeling of cause can and will probably be wrong. But it did its share to my decision that owncloud is not the tool of choice for me any more.

After my initial mail two people contacted me and asked, what i was migrating to as they want to move away from owncloud themselves. I find that somehow noteworthy.

Anyway, thank you for your work on the sync client. It came a long way from mirall and csync.

Regards,
Norman