[owncloud-devel] ownCloud Project Sorting

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Wed Jun 15 12:16:14 GMT 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen,

time to get a bit of sorted again, and see what we need to do to
continue to stay on track with the ownCloud project.

Other than you might have read in some news, I can assure you that there
are plenty of core people around (I can say that as I never seem to have
been considered a "core" guy in this project ;-) here in the company, in
addition to the great community that we are. We do releases, code and
stuff, and do well so far. So not much change from that side.

However, of course all the recent happenings do have consequences on the
ownCloud project. A fork does nothing else than cutting the people
working on a project into two pieces with doubling the efforts because
there are two almost equal projects, but well, that is the situation
now, let's see what can we do about it.

My personal take is to move forward on a positive side, deal with all
the shortcomings ahead, and get the great idea of ownCloud straight
again. I am here to do that, many other real nice people are as well, so
let's do.

Something very concrete that we have to solve: Bernhardt who developed
and maintained the news app for ownCloud so far, has decided to move on.
As a result,
   https://github.com/owncloud/news
needs a new maintainer to be kept at least in a working state with
upcoming ownCloud releases.

If you ever considered diving into ownCloud development, here is your
chance: Bernhard is still around and can (and I am sure will) help, and
the news app is a very popular one, so it is a smooth but very
interesting take off :-)

So much for now,
Klaas