[owncloud-devel] GSOC

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 13:09:10 GMT 2016

On woensdag 9 maart 2016 19:18:38 CET Tahaa Karim wrote:
> I am very enthusiastic for working with owncloud for GSoC, my
> motivation comes because i really wanted to develop a personal google
> drive like project and then own cloud does it so awesomely......I have
> gone through the programming style and contributed to it on
> git........but i am confused what i should be doing...can you help
> guide me my next step.

Hi Tahaa (and other students interested in GSOC for ownCloud!),

Can you share your github user name so we can find you there? So the
prospective mentors can look at your code. That you got already 5 pull
requests merged is a huge plus for you, in my opinion, so we should be able to
connect you with a interesting project and a mentor.

In general, think about something you'd like to do in ownCloud. Yes, the
Gallery app is one area where you can help, but I think that if you have a
good proposal in another area you will get a mentor - and there's a lot of
competition for the Gallery app so it might make sense to try that ;-)

For example, there are improvements to our external storage API in ownCloud
9.0 - these allow to integrate deeper with underlying storage. Perhaps
updating our existing external storage systems to the new API like integrating
metadata from Google Drive and Dropbox, and stuff like Samba, deeper in
ownCloud would be a interesting challenge. Should give performance
improvements but perhaps also allow stuff like making ownCloud aware of the
shares Dropbox and G'drive have. Of course, there are other external storage
systems that are requested frequently, perhaps you could implement one or two
as a stretch goal - like iCloud or OneDrive backends. Something external
storage related would need mentoring from @icewind1991 - he might be up to
that, if you are.

Another thing would be to move some core apps like Versions and Trash to the
App framework.

And there's probably plenty of work to be done on apps like the Calendar,
Contacts and Mail app - now their new versions are out, feature work is the
next step. georgehrke, DeepDiver are ppl to ping here, they might want to help
you.

As Raghu noted, trying to contact them over IRC is an idea. You don't have to
be polite and ask "what can I do", it is often better and more effective to
come up with an idea and ask feedback. Yes, the idea might not be super good
but that is OK - it is simply easier to built on an idea than to start from
scratch.

The end result should be a proper proposal, with a mentor who supports it, a
very rough timeline and stuff.

The hardest part will be to get a basic proposal and start a conversation with
a prospective mentor about it, of course. Thing is - the mentors are not
unwilling to engage but they are skeptical that you can finish stuff without
too much hand holding. Having gotten some code merged in ownCloud is, in that
regards, a massive plus as it shows you can hack on ownCloud! So link to your
pull requests to let them have a look.

I hope this helps a bit. Please, contact me on irc (jospoortvliet) or send a
private mail if you have questions!

Cheers,
Jos