[owncloud-devel] GSoC Proposal for Large File Sync

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Mon Mar 21 22:58:04 GMT 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 6:22 PM, Klaas Freitag <freitag at owncloud.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 15.03.2016 19:56, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
>> Hi Tomaz,
>>
>> first, thanks for your proposal, sounds interesting.
>>
>> I think its way to ambitious, as stuff is complicated, but well, go for
>> it :)
>>
>> Me and my collegues from the client team are willing to help you and
>> mentor if you want.
>>
>> Please, as a first thing, read through this blog:
>> https://dragotin.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/incremental-sync-in-owncloud/
>>
>> Let me know what you think!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Klaas
>>

> Klaas,
>
> I'm a ambitious person :)
> and I finished a Gtk to Qt fairly complex application for Linus Torvalds a
> few years ago - that was a *very* ambitious thing to do.
>
> I'm reading the blogpost as we speak.

ok - done.
So, from what I could understand we have a lot of files that doesn't
actually have to be synced (like small files), we have large files that are
easy to sync (like big plaintext files), we have large files that it's not
trivial to sync, but it's doable (like virtual machine images), and files
that are hard to sync (compressed files).

I can work on a proof of concept for large text files and virtual machine
images (wich would already be a win-situation for some users) and then
focus on *some* of the hard to sync files (like powerpoint presentations)
and see what I could get.

Tomaz

> Tomaz
>

>>> I'm Tomaz Canabrava, student of Computer Science in the Federal
>>> Institute of São
>>> Paulo and a long time KDE Contributor.
>>>
>>> I Wanna try to apply for GSoC doing the Large File Sync on Owncloud -
>>> below is
>>> my proposal.
>>>
>>> I understand that there is the "two patches rule" to be part of OwnCloud
>>> summer
>>> of code, and I already installed the code - but currently I'm on vacation
>>> without a computer, I'm getting home tomorrow and I'll start doing this.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>> Tomaz Canabrava
>>> --------
>>>
>>> Large File Sync
>>>
>>> Motivations:
>>>
>>> Currently OwnCloud doesn't handle well binary data or large files, a
>>> single bit
>>> difference can make a huge impact on data usage over the network, for
>>> the entire
>>> file needs to be re-uploaded to the server instead of changing just a
>>> few chunks
>>> of bits. A few applications already implement the sync for any file, for
>>> instance rsync and dropbox clients.
>>>
>>> Time Table:
>>>
>>> 2 days - study the different file sync architectures and approaches on
>>> rsync
>>> 2 days - study the data architecture on OwnCloud
>>> 4 - 5 days - implement a proof of concept, local, php sync server / c++
>>> client
>>> 2 - 3 days - with the knowledge gained by the proof of concept, create a