[owncloud-devel] ownCloud Pi Device: Snappy Ubuntu Core images available

interfaSys sàrl info at interfasys.ch
Mon Mar 21 23:22:49 GMT 2016

> On 03/19/2016 09:43 AM, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>> Hey Kyle,
>>
>> We've been playing with the box at the Chemnitzer Linux Tage conf. A few things we noticed:
>> * it's ownCloud 8.2.2, any chance we can get it to 9.0?
>
> Done. I had some issues with the upgrade, but sorted them today, so
> 9.0.0 has been released. Your device should automatically update (though
> you can make it happen faster via `sudo snappy update`).

Thanks!
I'm still experiencing huge issues though. As soon as I sync a folder
using the desktop client, the device stops responding to requests and
becomes totally unresponsive.
The only solution is a reset. Seems to be MySQL related and doesn't
always require a sync because I think the scanner triggers the same problem.

>> * it has some issues, like with images previews and some other things, I am guessing (no, I know) some PHP modules are missing. Would be good to add those, we're currently trying to figure out which ones are missing. Snappy is new for us so that might take a bit ;-)
>
> Yeah, imagick isn't in there. It isn't included in php7, so I haven't
> taken the time to get it included in the snap just yet. Thumbnail
> generation is mad slow on the rpi2 anyway, you might consider leaving it
> off for better performance ;) . Not a problem if you want it, though.

It's actually not that slow in my tests for the types which work (PNG,
gif), but some basic modules are missing.
Here is the list of what we need:
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#prerequisites

The imagick PECL extension is not required, but nice to have so that
people who want to have previews for more types can. It's only the 1st
thumbnail which takes a little bit of time to generate with some formats.

I've noticed both occ and php are now in the bin folder, but none of
them work.

ubuntu at localhost:~$ ./occ
occ: 5:
/writable/system-data/snaps/owncloud.canonical/9.0.0ubuntu1/bin/occ:
php: not found
ubuntu at localhost:~$./php
php: error while loading shared libraries: libmcrypt.so.4: cannot open

>> Aside from that, we have performance work to do but honestly, it's not that bad. And just adding caching (apc) will already make a huge difference so I'm quite optimistic... And there's lots more on https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/configuration_server/performance_tuning.html we can do, so anybody on this list should feel very welcome to look over that and do a pull request that implements one or more of them ;-)

The first step for current users is to turn off file-locking, until
Redis is added. I couldn't find a snap with it. Actually it's still
impossible to install any other snaps.

> Excellent! Indeed, the snap is a little bare-bones when it comes to
> performance tweaks, but they're pretty easy to add.

I agree, once Redis is in and occ works, we can tweak things with
scripts and apps

> --
> Kyle Fazzari (kyrofa)
> Software Engineer