[owncloud-devel] GSOC progress and new ideas for the taking

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:16:35 GMT 2016

On woensdag 23 maart 2016 10:35:32 CET Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There have been a few minor updates to the list of ideas:
> https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code and I've asked
> especially people from the Calendar, Contacts and Mail apps to add some
> ideas around their apps.
>
> We can mentor about one student per app and with many proposals for the
> Gallery and only one slot I suggest you keep an eye on the wiki for ideas
> around the Calendar/Contact/Mail app.
>
> # LibreOffice Online (or Collabora CloudSuite)
> I have also added a very different idea with two associated mentors:
> improving the integration of the Collabora Cloudsuite app ("richdocuments"!
> That app is working but a tad messy at the moment, with a lot of useless
> code that has to be cleaned up, little or no unit tests and some
> integration work that would benefit the user a lot. The Collabora team is
> willing to mentor this so if you feel up to it, go have a look at the code
> and see what can be done: https://github.com/owncloud/richdocuments
>
> You will need to come up with some further improvements during the project
> or your analysis but with real time document editing being so awesome I am
> sure that won't be a problem ;-)

So a bunch of ideas has been added:
https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code

* Create a public calendar
* Calendar/Contact/Mail integration
* Import in Contacts app
* Integrate Tasks with Notifications and Activity
* Improve Spreed integration

These apps have a mentor, some of whom were volunteered by me (raimund and
Henni) and thus I'd like them to check if that's OK. Also - any others who
want to mentor?

I expect at least a Mail app idea + mentor to be added soon.

Students - only one of you will be able to do a Gallery GSOC. Probably wise to
look at the other ideas now as they will have less competition ;-)

Cheers,
Jos