[owncloud-devel] Making Owncloud backups safely

Disco Patrick discopatrick at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:12:29 GMT 2016

Hi all. The Owncloud admin manual recommends that nightly backups (with
service interruption) can be achieved by shutting down apache before copying
the files and dumping the database.
[https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/deployment_recommendations.html
#small-workgroups-or-
departments](https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/installation/deployment_recommendations.html
#small-workgroups-or-departments)

Can I take this to mean that this is a safe way of backing up Owncloud? My
concern was that I wasn't sure how to stop (or wait to finish) any sync or
other operations that were currently happening. Would shutting down apache
achieve this? I'm not too worried if a sync is interrupted and needs to be
restarted later. Downtime is not an issue for me. I just want to avoid data
corruption. Perhaps I don't even need to be concerned about the above?

Best,

Patrick