[Translations] Two Russian translations on Transifex

Евгений Деревянкин jekader at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 14:23:09 EDT 2013

Hi Serge,

I totally agree with your point. In fact, I raised the issue in this list
some time ago, but there was no reaction: neither from the second russian
translation team, nor the owncloud developers.
It's even worse if you say the other translation is of low quality and
affects OwnCloud experience for Russian speaking users. We should merge the
translations ASAP.
Can we have an official comment from ownCloud regarding this? I confirm
once again that ru and ru_RU are the same language ("Russian" and "Russian
spoken in Russia")

Regards,
Evgheni

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Serge Shpikin <eurekafag at eureka7.ru> wrote:

> I see two different translations on Transifex. The problem is "ru_RU"
> locale has priority over "ru" at least in GNU/Linux. As I can see ru_RU has
> poor quality, lots of errors, missing spaces and so on. It's also less
> complete. "ru" translation is better maintained, has overall much better
> quality, over 80% of strings are translated there but it isn't seen by
> anyone (possibly) which is rather frustrating. I didn't know about all
> these efforts until I got to Transifex. And I got there exactly because of
> poorly translated ownCloud client, I wanted to fix all those ugly formatted
> messages. And surprisingly I couldn't find them because I opened "ru"
> translation which just doesn't have those errors. I was confused for some
> time and then examined the client's i18n directory which revealed the root
> of the problem. The existence of "ru_RU" translation completely cancels the
> good "ru" translation. I think they should be renamed each one to the
> opposite so the good one becomes "ru_RU" and the bad one stays as a backup
> for merging by just "ru" name.

С уважением,
Евгений Деревянкин