[owncloud-user] Owncloud SSO integration

Stephen Ingram sbingram at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 21:52:26 MET 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Tornóci László <
tornoci.laszlo at med.semmelweis-univ.hu> wrote:

> On 02/14/2014 08:22 PM, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

>>> FYI: there are users in the community who also need Shibboleth auth
>>> (it is widely used in the academic environment).
>>>
>>>  And ownCloud Inc is happy to support academic environments:
>> https://owncloud.com/products/education.
>>

> Thanks, I was not aware of the academic version. However, the page
> contains: "Pricing begins at $9000/year for 500 users"
> I have no idea about the pricing of the enterprise version, so this may be
> very cheap compared to that, but it is still way out of reach for us.
>
> Hopefully someone has the time to fix the user_saml app that provides
> shibboleth auth and works quite well for OC 5 (but not for OC 6 I guess).

I couldn't agree more. SSO is many times considered an enterprise feature
when even small organizations might should be using it. I think this is a
perception problem in the entire cloud-based software industry. As
cloud-based software further pushes down the stack toward small business,
there will be more pressure for cloud-based apps to offer SSO to everyone,
not just those who can afford to pay for an enterprise version.

In the case of Owncloud Enterprise version, Enterprise definitely means
enterprise as the pricing is way above what many small businesses would be
able to afford for say 5 to 10 people. And, any SSO module needs to be so
tightly integrated with the system that it is likely to be a constant chase
for any developer attempting to maintain any open source code between
versions. Not to mention, it also potentially create security problems that
ultimately reflects back on the primary product.

Steve