[owncloud-user] Which is the best server configuration for ownCloud?

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Wed Feb 26 01:02:43 MET 2014

On Wednesday 26 February 2014 00:37:37 Pierre Malard wrote:
> localu at nuage:~# free -h
> Mem:          4,0G       3,7G       279M         0B       395M       1,8G
> -/+ buffers/cache:       1,5G       2,5G
> Swap:         1,0G       7,1M       1,0G
>
> > One limitation has been that you need more memory than the largest file
> > you sync, so if you sync a 4 gb file, you will need 4gb ram as it all
> > gets loaded into there. This may have been solved with chunked uploads a
> > while back, could someone confirm/deny?

I don't think that's true, even before chuncked uploads.
Note that this is from (quite) a while back, but what I had noticed (back
then) is that your upload location (usually /tmp) should have enough HDD space
to store the whole file.
I noticed it when running it in (VBox) virtual machine with only 512MB RAM
allocated and therefor /tmp was also rather small as Debian allocated (by
default) 20% of the size of your RAM for /tmp.
You can of course change that by modifying /etc/fstab.

> However, the "free -h" showed before were take without any
> activity. My "owncloud.log" is flat at this time...

Without any activity (and I'm the only user anyway) my 'free -h' stats are:
diederik at cknowsvr01:~$ free -h
Mem:          3.9G       247M       3.6G        17M        20M       110M
-/+ buffers/cache:       116M       3.8G
Swap:         4.1G         0B       4.1G

And with me logged in to the web interface:
Mem:          3.9G       409M       3.5G        25M        23M       232M
-/+ buffers/cache:       153M       3.7G
Swap:         4.1G         0B       4.1G

Note that I have very few files etc stored in my/this owncloud instance.

As you can see that is significantly lower then you have and there are a couple
of more services running on that machine (Debian testing, OC 6.0.1+dfsg-1).
So I recommend 'tearing up' your machine piece by piece to find what's causing
your memory usage. And by 'tearing up', I mean virtualized vs non-virtualized,
with NFS and without, SAN vs local disk and synching and no synching.
It would probably also be informative to have (h)top and iotop running while
performing those tests.

HTH,
  Diederik
--