[owncloud-user] Which is the best server configuration for ownCloud?

Roland Hager roland.hager at tu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 26 10:51:05 MET 2014

Hi Pierre,

On 26.02.2014 00:37, Pierre Malard wrote:

> [...]
>> One limitation has been that you need more memory than the largest
>> file you sync, so if you sync a 4 gb file, you will need 4gb ram as
>> it all gets loaded into there. This may have been solved with chunked
>> uploads a while back, could someone confirm/deny?
>
> Wow!
> I don't think we have lot of these file. But I don't know how to test
> that...
> However, the "free -h" showed before were take without any activity.
> My "owncloud.log" is flat at this time...

As mentioned before you do NOT need a PHP memory_limit as high as the
biggest file. We're fine with 512MB memory_limit and allow files with up
to 20GB (yes GigaByte) in size. Check your "upload_tmp_dir" path in
php.ini. This should point to a big enough partition. As also mentioned
before all uploaded files are stored there until fully uploaded. If you
have many active concurrent users uploading big files, the default /tmp
or /var/tmp might be to small.

What about the memory consumption at all?

As I observed, PHP tends to never free memory once allocated. So if your
PHP process has allocated the allowed maximum of memory it keeps
allocated until the PHP process is recycled. Even if the process is not
serving any requests. If you use FCGID, you might limit the number,
livetime and "spare" processes to avoid having a high number of PHP
processes with max memory usage. If you use mod_php you might tweak the
corresponding prefork settings in apache webserver.

If you are running the MySQL on the same server, this one might use a
lot of memory for the innodb_buffer_poolsize. You want to have as many
data in buffer pool as possible, to reduce IO for the mysql server, but
you must left enough memory for the system and the webserver. Check that
there is enough RAM in case of maximum usage for the webserver and the
mysql server. It is not helpfull if both are configured to use 100% of
your RAM.

> [...]
> but, elsewere, if 5 users needs 1,5 Gb RAM, what about needed RAM for 50?
> [...]

Both, php processes and mysql server, does not necessarily need linear
more RAM when serving more user. In a normal usage scenario a user does
not permanently updates thousands of files and processes are often idle
waiting for connections. The apache, php and mysql processes using 1.8GB
of RAM might serve 5 users as well as 50users. The scenario where all of
your 50 user initially sync their files at the same time, might be a
problem, but should be rather rare.

Best regards
Roland Hager